Printed Manuals (from Vita Nuova)
The Plan 9 printed manual set contains two volumes:
- a 680 page programmer's
manual (with the manual pages); and
- a 410 page collection of papers and documents describing the operating system,
its implementation, its user interface, and the Plan 9 programming environment.
CD image (from Bell Labs)
A Plan 9 CD image can be downloaded from Bell Labs.
Once installed, the system can be updated using the
Plan 9 on-line update system.
The Plan 9 CD contains all the source code for the Plan 9 kernel, its commands and libraries
and many novelties. Kernel source is included for Intel x86, ARM and PowerPC
architectures, with pre-built binaries and libraries for Intel x86. Compilers also exist for
MIPS, PowerPC, ARM, SPARC and AMD64.
- The Open Source Plan 9 Operating System
- Source code to the kernel, the programs and the libraries
- C language cross-compiler suite for 13 processor architectures
- Unicode character set support throughout the system
- File-like interfaces to system resources and services
- A graphics model based on image compositing algebra
- Rio, the Plan 9 window system
- Plumbing, a language driven way for applications to communicate
- Acme - an editor, shell and window system for programmers
- APE - the ANSI/POSIX emulation environment
- Sam - a screen editor with structural regular expressions
- Support for MIME mail messages and IMAP4